On our website we are using cookies. By using our website, you agree to the use of cookies. More infoClose
 

Temples

Read more

Panagia tis Petras (our lady of the rock)

The center of the village is dominated by the rock on top of which is the Church of Panagia tis Glykofilousas (Our Lady of the Sweet Kisses). The rock is enormous, as imposing as those of Meteora in central Greece. At a height of 40 meters, it sprouts out of the tall, slender poplars as though wishing to dominate the level landscape around it.

The center of the village is dominated by the rock on top of which is the Church of Panagia tis Glykofilousas (Our Lady of the Sweet Kisses). The rock is enormous, as imposing as those of Meteora in central Greece.

Read more

Agios Therapon

This majestic church is one of Mytilene’s landmarks. Built by the local architect Argyris Adalis, it was inaugurated in 1935. Its primary architectural style is cruciform with a central dome. The exterior decoration is the work of another local painter and sculptor, Nikolaous Kesanlis.

This majestic church is one of Mytilene’s landmarks. Built by the local architect Argyris Adalis, it was inaugurated in 1935. Its primary architectural style is cruciform with a central dome.

Read more

Agios Athanasios

Today’s Metropolis Cathedral was built in the early 18th century and is located in the center of town. It is distinguished by its enormous Gothic-style bell tower. The church is a cruciform basilica with three aisles and a central dome.

Today’s Metropolis Cathedral was built in the early 18th century and is located in the center of town. It is distinguished by its enormous Gothic-style bell tower. The church is a cruciform basilica with three aisles and a central dome.

Read more

Agioi Theodoroi

The triple-aisled basilica was built in 1795 to replace an older church that had burned to the ground. It is reported to have been the Cathedral of Mytilene at least some point after the sack of Lesvos by the Ottomans. The church’s frescos were painted in 1799.

The triple-aisled basilica was built in 1795 to replace an older church that had burned to the ground. It is reported to have been the Cathedral of Mytilene at least some point after the sack of Lesvos by the Ottomans.