The Vareltzidena Mansion, built in the first half of the 18th century, is located in the centre of the village of Petra. It is a two-floor mansion, resembling a fortress because of the thick stone walls of the ground floor.
The mansion combines elements of the local traditional architecture and influences from the Orient and northern Greece. In the past, the ground floor was used as a storeroom, in which olive oil and wine were kept. The first floor consists of a large reception hall, surrounded by six rooms.
The walls of the reception hall are decorated with valuable frescoes, typical of the period in which the mansion was built. In one of the rooms the master of the mansion used to invite the elders of the village to discuss public matters.
The throne of the master with the family blazon engraved on it still survives. The ceiling of the reception hall is decorated with wood-carvings representing a dove, the symbol of peace.
The women’s quarters of the house are also decorated with wall-paintings, representing medieval views from Constantinople. The roof of the house is wooden and had a hideout, where the residents of the house would take refuge in case of pirate raids. The mansion is named after its last landlady who died in 1940 at the age of 100.